Pages

Wednesday 1 July 2015

Paper Roses

Hello Crafty Friends!

Now that we have settled into our new home in Scottsdale, Arizona (you can read all about that on my other blog if you are interested - just click here Barlow's Big Adventure) and all the boxes of crafty stash ... and trust me, there were A LOT! ... are finally unpacked and installed in my new craft room (which Mr Crafty Cow thinks is his study ... honestly), I finally managed to carve out some 'me' time this past week and scratch that crafty itch ... Yay!

As well as completing three Project Life pages (being behind is killing me!), I also made these cute pink sparkly roses, which I saw over on Dawns Stamping Thoughts.


She used a die from the Stampin' Up range, however, as I don't own that particular die but have a very similar image on my Cricut Flower Shoppe cartridge, I decided to use that and give it a go.

Tip:  If you don't have access to any dies you could still have a go at making one of these by drawing round a saucer or small plate and then cutting the spiral shape with scissors.  You obviously wouldn't get the scalloped edge and the width of the spiral would not be consistent, but that doesn't matter, it will just makes a more interesting flower shape - there are no rules in crafting!

First I cut the 'Basic Shape 1' at 5" from pink cardstock.



Next, I took a bone folder and gently shaped the paper to make it more pliable and easier to work with.  (I stress the word gently because if you tear it you will have to start again .... ahem)


The paper will curl up as you work your way around, but that's OK, just keep going.


Then, starting with the small end, start to roll it up tightly, until you reach the large circle at at the end.


You can now see your rose taking shape.  Let it go so that it unfurls a little into a more natural flower shape.


I turned it over and pressed down hard with the back of my hand to break down the fibres of the paper a little more and make it look a bit more 'distressed'.


Then, when you are happy with the shape, place a dab of good quality wet glue on the circle and hold it in place for a minute or so until it dries (I used Tombow glue but I also like Cosmic Shimmer as it doesn't stick to your fingers as much!)


Finally, I used a 2 way glue pen, to dab some glue on the petals, and then drenched it in some dazzling diamonds glitter.  Shake of the excess and .... Ta Dah!  A sparkly pink rose.


You could use this to embellish a special card (that you are going to hand deliver!) or put it on the front of a parcel or gift bag, but I decided to use mine to adorn the front of a cute Dress Box that I had been dying to make from the Cricut Tags, Bags, Boxes & More 2 cartridge.  Hope you like it!



Thanks for stopping by, and for sticking with me through the Crafty Mooo-ve!

TTFN
Bev x

No comments:

Post a Comment